Mackenzie
I recently traveled to Atlanta to visit my cousin Laura.  We had so much fun while I was there.

Amazingly enough to start off my trip I ran into my cousin Warren at the Denver Airport.


Here he is with his darling family.  I hadn't seen him for years and had never met his kids.

On my first night in Atlanta we ate at the Varsity and then grabbed a dessert on the top floor of the Westin Hotel which had a rotating floor so that you could see the full panorama of the city while you are eating.  For my poor carsick prone body it was a little bit of a challenge, but it was a blast!

Our next stop was Coke World and then the CNN center.


This is Laura and I.  The best part of Coke World is the tasting room where you can try Coke products that they sell all over the world.  Including the disgusting tasting Beverly.  Laura says that it tastes like B.O. and I have to agree.  They also had a flavor that I loved drinking in Romania, Fructe de Padure.


This is Stone Mountain.  It is a monument to the Confederate army.  I just don't get the devotion to the Confederates.  The history was interesting about how the Union army took Atlanta.  I was also fascinated by the geology of the batholith.

I was in Atlanta for the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday.  On Monday we went into the city to see the parade.  Before the parade started we stopped off at Underground Atlanta.


Underground Atlanta is a little touristy shopping place.

The parade was really late in starting and it was cold and rainy.  Finally we gave up and went to a little market and had a piece of sweet potato cheesecake pie.


Bill Clinton said that this was the best piece of sweet potato cheesecake pie.  It was the best one I had ever had as well.  Although, I'm not really sure where you would ever find a piece of sweet potato cheesecake pie other than here.


After our pie we found a spot underneath an overpass where we could watch the parade.  We shared some turkey drumsticks for lunch.  I wish that I had a picture of the parade.  Different sororities and fraternities marched in the parade and each had their own stomp group.  I loved watching them perform.  It was probably one of my favorite parts of my trip to Atlanta.

Last of all we walked down to the house that MLK grew up in.


Here is the church where he and his father preached at.  It was on the way.


Here's our whole group in front of the house.  Nearby was also a National Monument dedicated to MLK Jr.  It was a really good exhibit.  We saw the video on the contributions of children in the civil rights movement.  It was fascinating.  They had some really ingenious ideas, for example they had the children march so that if/when they got arrested the parents could still continue to work and keep their jobs.

Thanks Laura for a great trip!



0 Responses